Formation of Polling Area Referendum Committees, the Powers of them
Article 24 of the Law of the Republic of Lithuania on the Referendum
says, the city, regional referendum committee shall establish the number of each polling district referendum committee at least 48 hours before the day of voting in the referendum. It must be the least common multiple of the number of the parties (coalitions thereof), which have the right to nominate candidacies to the polling district referendum committee.
The following shall have the right to nominate an equivalent number of candidacies for the polling district referendum committee:
- each party or coalition of parties, which during the last election had obtained Seimas members in a multi-member election constituency. If the party obtained Seimas members while being in a coalition, it may nominate the candidacies along with the parties who had participated in the coalition;
- a party or a coalition thereof, which during the last council elections of the municipality, on the territory whereof the polling area is located, had obtained the mandates of the members of this council according to the nominated list (joint list); if the party had obtained the mandates of the council members while being in a coalition, it may nominate the candidacies along with the parties have participated in the coalition.
If the party may nominate candidacies both according to the Seimas and the municipal council election results, it must then propose the candidacies only according to the results of one of these elections at choice. Should one of the parties who had participated in the election coalition fail to propose candidacies or refuse to nominate them, or choose to propose according to the results of other elections, when a coalition had been formed, the other parties who had participated in this coalition shall have the right to propose candidacies without its participation.
A party shall submit to the city, regional referendum committee a list of candidacies for polling district referendum committees, at least 41 days prior to the day of voting in a referendum.
The polling district referendum committees shall be formed by the city, regional referendum committees at least 38 days prior to the voting in the referendum. If the candidacy proposed by the party shall meet the requirements of this Law, the city, regional committee can not reject it.
If no candidacies have been proposed or if the proposed candidacies do not meet the requirements of this Law, or if they have been proposed after the expiration of the stipulated time limit, or if a vacancy has opened up on the committee and no new candidacy is proposed, the city, regional referendum committees may reduce the earlier established number of the members of the polling district referendum committee or request that the mayor would nominate the missing candidacies to the polling district’s referendum committee.The candidacies proposed by the mayor can not be party members or become such prior to the expiration of the referendum committee member’s term of powers. Should at least three city, regional referendum committee members object at a sitting of the city, regional referendum committee, in which a member of the referendum polling area nominated by the mayor is to be appointed, to the appointment of the candidate nominated by the mayor to the referendum polling area committee, this candidate may not be appointed as a committee member. The polling area referendum committee must have at least five members.
The city, regional referendum committees shall appoint the chairmen of the polling district referendum committees from the committee members.
At its first sitting, the polling district referendum committee shall elect a deputy committee chairman and a secretary.
Article 25 of the Law of the Republic of Lithuania on the Referendum
says, the polling district referendum committee shall:
- receive polling district voter lists from the city, regional referendum committee, create the conditions for citizens, group representatives and party representatives to familiarize themselves with them, present or otherwise transfer to citizens voter certificates, inform the city, regional referendum committee concerning the inaccuracies found in the polling district voter list;
- examine the appeals related to the errors made on the voter list;
- supervise in accordance with the procedure set forth by the Central Electoral Committee, how voting by mail is being conducted within the polling area, whether opportunities have been created to vote by mail in all the treatment, socialcare and guardianshipinstitutions, military units and places of penal institutions;
- together with a representative of the local government administration see to it that secret balloting voting booths and ballot boxes would be prepared on time, according to the requirements of this Law;
- organise the voting in the referendum polling district on the day of voting in the referendum;
- count the votes, and compile a record of vote counting in the polling district;
- examine the appeals of the citizens in its polling area and referendum observers concerning the preparation of the referendum, organising of the voting ballot counting, drawing up of the record and adopt resolutions;
- implement the other powers set forth in this Law.
The data presented herein is taken from the database of the Central Electoral Committee.
LRS ITD©, 2003 These pages are created and maintained by the Information Technologies department of The Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania.
Please send your comments about the contents to ZeVaig@lrs.lt, about WWW pages firstname.lastname@example.org