Formation of the City, Regional Referendum Committees, the powers of them
Article 21 of the Law of the Republic of Lithuania on the Referendum says, the Central Electoral Committee shall form city and regional referendum committees to organise and conduct the referendum in the city, regional, and local government areas for the period of the referendum and at least 60 days prior to the referendum vote day.
The City and regional referendum committees shall be formed of:
The Minister of Justice, the Lawyers Association of Lithuania and the mayor may recommend more candidacies, as well.
- a person having a university level legal education, who has been recommended by the Minister of Justice and resides or lives in the territory of this local government;
- a person having a university level legal education, who has been recommended by the Lawyer’s Association of Lithuania and resides or works in the territory of this local government;
- a career publicservant,recommended by the mayor, who works in the administration of this local government;
- persons recommended by the parties, which have the Seimas membermandates in a multi-member election constituency;
The parties, which have obtained Seimas member mandates in a multi-member election constituencyaccording to the list of the nominated candidates (joint list), from one of these lists of a multi-member voting constituency (of a joint list) shall have the right to recommend to the city, regional referendum committees of two each of their members. If the representatives offered by the parties shall meet the requirements of this Law, the Central Electoral Committee may not reject their candidacy. If the candidacy has not been offered, the Central Electoral Committee may in their place, appoint in addition as members of the committee, persons, who have been recommended by the Minister of Justice, the Lawyers’ Association of Lithuania or mayor.
In all instances, at least three members of the committee must be persons, who have been appointed to city, regional referendum committees from those who have been nominated by the minister of Justice, the Lawyers’ Association of Lithuania and mayor. If there are fewer such persons, the committee shall be increased from those nominated by the Minister of Justice, The Lawyers’ Association of Lithuania or mayor.
The Central Electoral Committee shall appoint the chairman of the city and regional referendum committee from the committee members;
The city, regional referendum committee shall select a deputy chairman and secretary of the committee at the first sitting.
Article 22 of the Law of the Republic of Lithuania on the Referendum says, the city, regional referendum committee shall:
- form the polling district referendum committees;
- inform the voters who reside in the city and, region regarding the boundaries of the referendum polling districts, their headquarters, work hours and polling stations;
- oversee how this Law is being implemented in the city and region;
- register according to the recommendation of the group and party, their representatives and observers and issue certificates to them;
- draw up an accounting record of the city and region vote count;
- deliberate the appeals regarding the decisions and actions of polling referendum committees and adopt decisions with regard to them;
- implement the other powers set forth in this Law.
The data presented herein is taken from the database of the Central Electoral Committee.
LRS ITD©, 2003 These pages are created and maintained by the Information Technologies department of The Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania.
Please send your comments about the contents to ZeVaig@lrs.lt, about WWW pages email@example.com